Legislation has been introduced in the 2015 General Asssembly session to require an eight-year moratorium on fracking in MD. Health professionals have a critical role to play in educating colleagues and the general public about this legislation and are encouraged to become directly involved in communications with legislators.
The bill for a fracking moratorium is called the Protect our Health and Communities Act (SB409/HB449). It is sponsored by Senator Karen Montgomery on the Senate side and is scheduled for a public hearing on 3/3/15 at 1 p.m. before the Senate Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs Committee (EHEA). The House bill is sponsored by Delegate David Fraser-Hidalgo and is scheduled for a public hearing on 3/11/15 at 1 p.m. before the Environment and Transportation Committee. If you are interested in providing written and/or oral testimony on these bills, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the bills:
Current list of health groups supporting the moratorium include:
- Maryland Public Health Association
- Maryland Environmental Health Network
- Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments
- Chesapeake Physicians for Social Responsibility
- National Nurses United
- …and many more
- Group signatories only: Read and sign the Position Statement in Support of the Long-Term Fracking Moratorium
- Individual and group signatories: Read and sign the Health Professionals Sign-On Letter to Senate President Miller and House Speaker Busch
- It is also critically important to ask your own senators and delegates to support this long-term moratorium on fracking. To find out who your state legislators are and how to contact them, visit www.mdelect.net